Sunday, July 17, 2011

Akshardham Temple

Yikes, I just realized I'm three weeks behind in my blogging. Unlike when I was in the Netherlands, this time the blame for my delay falls more on India and less on my being busy or lazy. There are frequent power outages here and when the power turns off so does the internet. There have been many nights when I've returned home set to blog about my weekend (or to call friends and family via skype) and I've been disappointed to find there is no internet service. I will do my best to catch up because there are many observations, stories, and other information that I desire to share.
My third weekend in India was fairly uneventful. During the work week my time consisted the daily commute. While a commute wouldn't normally be something worth writing about, the commute in India seems to be a bit more of an adventure. There are a few aspects of the commute that have become easier over time, but only a few. Each day I depart my accommodations and take a 5 - 10 minute walk to the metro. Although the distance is not far, I'm usually sweating because of the heat and the general complications of the commute. There are no sidewalks and there is only a narrow shoulder and a narrow patch of packed dirt on which to walk. Walking requires artfully dodging cycles, rickshaws, buses, cows, dogs, and whatever other obstacle may appear. Crossing the street is the most complicated. Because there are no traffic rules and not many traffic signals in Noida (especially at the intersections near my accommodation), intersections are a free for all. I've determined the private buses that are collecting passengers near the metro are one of the worst obstructers of traffic. They park right in the middle of the crosswalk and it is impossible to see around them or know when they might choose to move. The motorcycles are the other offender as they seem to be the most impatient and self-centered; they are the most willing to weave in and out of traffic or drive on the shoulder with no disregard for any pedestrians or animals.
After the walk I enter the metro where I am subjected to a pat down and my bag is x-rayed (as is everyone else). The metro is one of the few places in India where it is an advantage to be a female because there is hardly ever a line for women's security and there is a women only car at the front of each train which is hardly ever crowded (unlike the other cars which are typically jam packed). The metro is an anomaly in Delhi; it's clean, quiet, and air conditioned. The metro is also relatively new so it will be interesting to see how long it is maintained...
When I depart the metro near my office, I catch a cycle rickshaw to go to the office. If I were in the US, the distance would be walkable - probably about 15 to 20 minutes maximum. But in India, because of the heat, dust, chaos and lack of sidewalks (although I should note they are building sidewalks on the road from the metro to my office so things might be improving) a cycle rickshaw is better. Initially I had to find a rickshaw puller and haggle each day but now there is one rickshaw driver who I can always count on to be there in the morning to take me to the office. There is also now a rickshaw puller who waits for me outside the office in the evening in order to return me to the office. I think I'm paying about 10 rupees (approximately 20 cents US) more than Indians pay (I pay 30 each way and Indians pay 15 - 20), but I'm happy to pay it for the convenience of not having to haggle and explain the way to my office each day. One of the things about India is that those who have money will nickle and dime the poor (rickshaw pullers, maids, etc.) and many refuse to pay even a little extra for anything - even if the service is great. It's one of the reasons that the rich/poor divide just increases. The wealthy here continue to make money (it takes money to make money) but they refuse to tolerate an increase in prices for services even though the cost of living is increasing. And because the population is so large and there are so many poor and uneducated people there is always somebody who is willing to do the work for less. Seeing the situation here makes me appreciative of policies like the minimum wage in the US. Although minimum wage is dismal and could be better and although we have our share of problems and could be doing a lot better in terms of providing opportunities and equality (like funding better education and health care) we could also be doing a lot worse.
Ok, time to climb off my soapbox.
After I leave work at about 7 p.m. I complete the whole commute in reverse. Monday - Friday I don't generally go out in the evening and the few times that I have there was a lot of advanced planning involved. So most of my excitement and exploration time occurs on the weekends.
Weekend number three was fairly lowkey and I didn't see many sights. In fact on Sunday I spent the entire day at home reading and watching movies (great Indian films - Lagaan, Robot, and Like Stars on Earth). On Saturday, Dustin and I visited Akshardham temple in Delhi. Akshardham is a fairly new temple (built in 2006) but it is gigantic. There lifesize stone carved elephants that surround the base of the temple and the entire structure is ornately sculpted. Unfortunately cameras are not permitted on the grounds so I do not have any pictures. But you can look at pictures here http://www.akshardham.com/photogallery/mandir/index.htm
The ornate stone carvings were the extent of Akshardham's appeal. There is also a boat ride and a presentation in the hall of values but both of those things were a bit hokey. The hall of values was an animatronic / multimedia experience that chronicles the life of Swaminarayan, the founder of one particular sect of hinduism. And the boat tour chronicled some of India's history. While there was some interesting information presented, the whole thing just seemed like a religious Disneyland with the goal of inundating viewers with propoganda.  There is also a light/music show at the fountain there, but after spending a few hours in the sun and partaking in the boat tour and hall of values, we were exhausted and ready to call it a night.

No comments: